Stone Me, What a Venue.


Today, Glyn and I visited the venue in St Albans where we’ll be taking Mostly Comedy in the Spring.

I’m excited about the prospect of trying it there, as I feel confident that it’s a town and a space that should suit the club well. It helps that the people in charge of the venue are keen and on a very similar wavelength to us as regards what makes a successful event while allowing time for it to grow. The venue’s also a stone’s throw from the station and the time it takes to get to St Albans from London by train is basically the same as the time it takes to get to Hitchin.

Our meeting (and tour of the venue) was very productive, and no sooner had we got back to Hitchin than I was already attempting to book some big names for it; I’m always of the ethos that it’s best to do it straight away so there’s less work to do nearer the time; I would thought we should be able to finalise the line-ups quickly, which would be equally good.

The other exciting mini-event of the day was the arrival of my first newsletter from the Tony Hancock Appreciation Society I joined a few weeks ago. I haven’t received anything of the sort since I was a member of the Paul McCartney Fun Club in the mid-Nineties, and it’s very exciting; I could have opted out of the paper copy of the magazine, but at the same time I know I’d enjoy it through the tangibility of having the articles in front of me instead of just on a screen; I’m a funny old fart like that.

I’ve already been pleasantly surprised about the amount of memorabilia I receive; there’s plenty to keep me busy for the rest of the week. It’s nice to bw a part about something I care aboutl; I should have joined sooner, damn it!

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.