Running My (Fe)lines.


Today, I did just about the most relaxed rehearsal ever, with my cat on my lap (who didn’t laugh once).

I try to vary where I do run-throughs, so I don’t get stuck in a rut, or start to only feel comfortable doing it in just one place; sometimes I’ll go through it in my office, which is the most focused space to hand, but the fact it’s in a shared building with people constantly passing my door can make me feel self-conscious if they know I'm the only one there.

Rehearsing at home is nice from time to time, though it’s easier to be distracted, particularly if your house is a bit of a mess. That said, it I’m home alone I know I won’t be interrupted, plus I can talk through material at volume without worrying whether anyone can hear.

There's a fine line to overrunning stand-up anyway, particularly when you’ve performed the material a lot in the past, as while you do want to remind yourself of it, you don’t want it to go stale; that’s why I decided to keep today’s rehearsal low-key, as I did a full run at the office yesterday and didn’t want to feel like I was continuously going over old ground. So, as I was already at my computer with my cat on my lap, I decided I may as well stay there as I talked my way through it.

Interestingly, the fact I was talking through it while seated actually made for a better pace. I have a habit of talking too quickly, so the more relaxed setting encouraged me to slow down, which is something I’d like to take into my show on Sunday, as it will help my stories hit home. Perhaps I should take my cat with me, though it may make me look a bit like Blofeld (thought at least no-one would heckle me).

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.