Read All About Reading All About It.


I’ve been devouring John Grisham’s debut novel 'A Time To Kill' for the past week, which is the first time I’ve sped through a good book in ages.

While I’ve always been an avid reader (or a David one) I sometimes get out of the habit, according to my mood. It doesn’t help that I’ve gone through a spate of writing my blog immediately before bed, which I'd prefer not to do, partly because it cuts into time when I might be reading or - Shock! Horror! - sleeping.

I can’t get a handle on people who don’t read at all, when it’s about the cheapest and most effective form of escapism you can get. I enjoy both fiction and non-fiction, but find the latter the more relaxing of the two. I’ll often alternate between them - I last read Robert Webb’s ‘How Not to Be a Boy’, which I really liked - but do love a good novel; I’m particularly fond of thrillers: Robert Harris is always a good call. This is the fourth Grisham book I’ve happened upon, having previously read ‘The Client’, ‘The Firm’ and ‘Runaway Jury’ - and second to 'The Client', the current one is perhaps the most gripping.

I wonder if I’ll ever write a novel myself? I like the idea, but think I’m naturally more adept at writing non-fiction - my blog or stand-up being a case in point - or in script form, which I’ve done a many times before, most notably with Glyn. I don’t know if I’d be able to sustain a story for so long, or keep it moving apace. Maybe one of these days, I’ll give it a go; if I copied out Keith Richards’ ‘Life’, substituting his name for mine and Jagger's with my cat, would anyone notice?

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.