Market Down.


I found tonight’s preview at The Market Theatre a tiny bit frustrating, but to fair, most of that frustration was more to do with what was happening in my head then what was happening on stage.

Me in victory stance at tonight's preview at The Market Theatre. (25.07.17)

The main problem for me is was I couldn’t help bit compare it to my final preview this time last year at the Broadway Studio in Letchworth, when I could tangibly feel things falling into place; so much so I walked off-stage content with the fact the show was there; it was finished, it was done.

Tonight’s show, conversely, was a personally a little hit and miss. For the most part, it felt reasonably slick and there were some good responses from the audience, but there were also moments when the reaction was a little muted and slow. Some of this was to do with the Curse of the Hitchin Festival; it’s a wonderful thing to be a part of and I’m very grateful for the cross-promotion it creates, but I can’t help but feel that it sometimes pulls in a crowd who wouldn’t necessarily come to this sort of show usually. I don’t mean to sound hard or judgmental - as I say, this is mostly to do with my slightly skewed personal perception - but the festival in Hitchin sometimes encourages a slightly older demographic to your usual comedy gig; something that was reiterated when I asked the audience at the end if they’d ever been to Mostly Comedy and the majority of people hadn’t, which is surprising when you think the club is the most likely way for you to stumble across what I do and therefore show an interest in seeing my own show.

As I say, I’m being a little hard on myself and on tonight which ostensibly went well. I’m just feeling the lack of a director to take me to one side and not just tell me what they didn’t like but also what they felt I’m doing well. It can be tiring constantly being your own self-motivator.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.