Tell Me What You See.


I did quite bit of work on my show today, both in terms of running the material and orchestrating the admin that goes with it, but I'm finding it hard to make improvements - or to even know that's what they are - without a director to steer me through it.

Sadly, it all goes down to personal judgement at the moment, as it’s next-to-impossible to get someone to commit to helping me out and - even if they were to - they’d have to be just the right person for the job. What I could really do with someone to tell me what’s already right as I’m naturally hypercritical, and I don’t want to replace stuff that works with stuff that doesn’t, if things evolve that way without the benefit of an outside eye to put a lid on it.

I was surprised to find a fair amount already worked when I did my work-in-progress dates in Bath in April and Brighton in May; I don’t want to lose the essence of what I did there through over-thinking and over-editing it, but at the same time, I still want it to be as good as it can be. The problem is I’m feeling rudderless, which can lead to doing too much. What I’m missing is a little collaboration, as the only feedback I currently get is from an audience - and even that can be hard to read when I’m in 'show mode'.

Hopefully, I’ll have my friend Steve at Saturday’s gig, who's unofficially been the closest thing I’ve had to a director for my last two solo shows (outside of my wife). I’d also like to get Glyn’s and my long-term director Glen Davies to cast his eye over it, which he keeps offering to do if we can find a time to do it. The problem is it’s impossible to run with an audience-of-one as it feels too forced, but if both he and Steve can see a few performances and then we can chat through their thoughts afterwards it would be a lifesaver. The point is, I don’t want to fuck it up (which is a reasonable stance to take, I think).

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.