Read All (Work, No Progress) About It.

One thing you'll often do when promoting a show is filling in questionnaires from journalists looking for straightforward copy for their website, newspaper or magazine.

Today, I did just that, answering a few questions about my Brighton Fringe dates that start next week, for the Brighton & Hove-based paper The Argus. See below for what I said, which immediately follows what they said, as that’s how the dynamic of an interview works.

Could you briefly describe you show to those who know nothing about it?

It’s like a Jive Bunny-style megamix of my life, without the ‘being at a wedding in the late-1980s’ aftertaste. For three nights, I’ll be zipping through a load of new ideas, most of which started out in the blog I’ve kept up almost daily for four years; my wife’s got a salary.

What was the inspiration behind your show? Can you pinpoint one particular moment or idea?

It mostly stems from my obsession with small detail and how irritated I get by finicky little things a more sensible person wouldn’t notice. At one point I rant about how the residents’ association where I live keep using the font Comic Sans in all their correspondence, which probably isn’t that important in a world the US and North Korea are likely to blow up

Were there any obstacles you had to overcome to write it or stage it?

The hardest thing is getting started, when it’s so easy to keep putting it off. Then an idea surfaces that excites me and I’m off. I’m using a lot more audio-visual content this time around, as I do with my double act Doggett & Ephgrave, which gives me a lot more flexibility; it’s far easier to drag people into your world-view when you can shine a light on the tiniest parts of it.

In an ideal world what would you like audiences to take away from your show?

The suitcase of equipment I have to lug around to do it, which is heavy and award, like me.

What else are you looking forward to seeing at Brighton Fringe?

Dave Benson Phillips; he’s listed next to me in the Fringe brochure, which is more than just an alphabetical achievement.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.