"Ask For Me Tomorrow and You Shall Find Me an Ephgrave Man."


This afternoon, I went for a walk in the cemetery near where I live, which happens to be one of my favourite places.

It’s very peaceful there, which is as you’d expect, yet it’s also a hive of activity for wildlife. There’s such a mix of different types of trees and hedges all thrown together with countless spots where the grass has been purposely left to overgrow to encourage all manner of birds and insects. It’s somehow appropriate that a place that’s been set aside for the dead is teeming with life, and a reminder of how it flows on within you and without you, to paraphrase the Quiet Beatle.

It’s a place I’ll often go to think, or to get a breath of fresh air. It’s also randomly where I posed for my last actor’s headshot; after all, where would appear more castable? Consequently, it can’t be long before I crop up in an episode of Most Haunted: my surname isn’t Ephgrave for nothing.

I went there today with my wife, when we spent some time wandering amongst the headstones, that range from the mid-1800s to the present day. It's interesting to note the different styles from early Victorian, to the war graves from the turn of the last century, to the ugly ones from the 1970s and 1980s. The worst for me are the ones with photos of the deceased embedded into them, which led me to ponder at what social function they were taken at; did the people in question, post-snap, say to themselves, “Yep, I’d like that one be set aside for my memorial.” If it were me, it would inevitably be one I didn’t like, or worse still, a photo of someone else.

While I was there, I posed for what might wind up as the cover of my next album: the working title is ‘Leaf Me Alone’.


Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.