Commute-y Comedy.


I had my first casting in months this morning, which I enjoyed, despite having to get into Central London first thing.

There’s something distinctly dissatisfying about buying a peak-time train ticket, only to have to stand the whole way; what you have to do for a discounted rate: a journey-long headstand? I managed to meditate for a bit whilst on my feet, but it was hardly the most relaxing way to do it; I also dropped half of my tablets on the floor when I pulled out my pillbox; as long as any passing dogs have similar health problems to me, we should be okay.

The casting was the sort I prefer, as there was no dialogue, so I didn’t have to cram lines into my head when it came in yesterday with little notice. I just had to react subtly to a comedic situation (which pretty much sums up my life). It was over in a flash and I was on the train back to Hitchin, seated this time, ready to get on with what I’d planned for the rest of the day.

When I got home, I ran my set for Thursday’s Mostly Comedy, which will be the same as my shows in Bath last weekend. I see no reason in making big changes yet, until I’ve got to grips with what works. There are things I will add and subtract for Edinburgh, but there’s plenty of time for that. At this stage, I don’t want to over-think it. I’m keen to keep the lightness of touch I’ve applied to working on it so far, without getting too serious or stressed about it. If I enjoy what I'm doing, the audience are more likely to enjoy it too, or at least that’s the theory.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.