A River Runs Through It.


Today, I've been playing tourist in London by visiting the Tower Bridge Exhibition and taking a cruise on the Thames. 

View from a bridge.
The trip was a gift from my mum (who goes through my blog with a fine-tooth comb, so will be delighted to be mentioned on it; HI MUM) that was given to me and my wife last Christmas, but we've only just got around to redeeming it. I don't think we could have timed it any more perfectly for the time of year, as the day was beautifully sunny, plus we reaped the benefits of a suitably festive view of London as the evening drew in. 

Looking up into one of the towers of Tower Bridge.
If you've not visited the Bridge Exhibition before, I'd recommend it, as it's great value, and affords you a great view of the city. My wife had been before, though this was prior to the addition of the glass walkway at the top tier of the bridge, which gives you a fantastic perspective of the river below - particularly if you time your visit to coincide with when the bridge is lifted to let a boat pass underneath (which we did). 

My wife and me, levitating over Tower Bridge.
After crossing the Bridge, our next stop was the Engine Rooms, where you can see original mechanics that powered its opening (by steam, no less). At first, I thought we'd never be able to leave:


...though while I was there, I could help but indulge in my only vice. 


Following all our Engine Room excitement, we went to a restaurant by the riverside, from which we had a great view of the bridge, the Tower of London and much of the city skyline. From there, we crossed the river again to Tower Pier, where we caught a boat to Westminster. This was the first time I'd been on the Thames for a good twenty-five years, when I went to HMS Belfast and the Thames Barrier with my dad and my friend Chris. Back then, Docklands was essentially wasteland, and Canary Wharf had only just been built. Now, we’re living in the future (though thankfully centre-partings aren't as prevalent; see below for an old one). 

 
Over the moon over the bridge.


Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.