Load of Waffle.

Today, I ate waffles for both a main course and a dessert at The Waffle House in St Albans, thus bringing a whole knew meaning to the phrase 'waffly versatile'. 

My wife and I met our friends Philippa, James and their baby daughter Georgie there for lunch today, with no inkling as to whether you could enjoy both sweet and savoury waffles in one sitting. I've since learnt that you can. I'd briefly perused the menu online before leaving, trying to decide whether having more than one waffle-based course would be a culinary faux pas; do you just choose one type over another? If so, then what's the best option?

Deep down, I knew my sweet tooth would override the need for more standard lunchtime sustenance, if push came to shove. Thankfully, James threw down the edible gauntlet by ordering both the hummus & avocado waffle and the banoffee waffle, which I'd had my eye on too - and get this: they were bloody lovely. In a few hours, I'd gone from waffle indifference to a full-blown waffle convert. 

After lunch, we went for a walk around the park and for a quick drink in Ye Olde Fighting Cocks, which is officially the oldest and most amusingly-named pub in the country. It may have had a lovely atmosphere but there wasn't a waffle in sight; these alehouses need to get with the times if they want to stay afloat in the current waffle economy, or at least that's what I think. 

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.