R.E.[T.V.] M.

Worryingly, I seem to have reached the point in my life where I regularly fall asleep while watching television of an evening. 

This isn't a good thing; if anything, it's a sign of advancing age, I never did this in my twenties, so what's changed? Am I more active during the day or am I having later nights? I'd attempt to solve this quandary, if it weren't for the fact I'm fighting a slumber battle as we speak; my heavy eyes inspired me to write this in the first place. 

A lot of it's to do with comfort and energy. I was watching an episode of Columbo last night, and was about half way in that I started to feel the seductive pull of sleep. I changed channels to catch coverage of Lionel Richie's set at Glastonbury and was instantly fully awake; his energy and commitment cleared the fug from my head; suddenly, 'All Night Long (All Night)' had a completely different meaning.

This near-narcolepsy reminds me of when I used to play the guitar at my dad's house as a kid. He'd ask me to play a song, and would fall asleep a few bars in, forcing me to throw in the odd loud vocal tic or aggressive strum to wake him up. I never knew my singing voice was audio chloroform until then. It's no wonder my band didn't get signed; no-one ever got to the end of our demos conscious. 

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.