Plan, Plan, Planning.


I’ve been concerning myself with admin today for a couple of work-in-progress dates that I’m doing at the Bath Comedy Festival in April.

As is always the case when you’re self-producing a show, getting the paperwork done is part-satisfying, part-frustrating; you can’t help but feel that the time spent filling in forms, choosing promo pictures and writing blurbs would be much better spent deciding what you’re actually going to say on stage when you're up there. This becomes a small, yet important background detail.

I remember chatting to a well-established comic who was previewing one of his Edinburgh Fringe shows at Mostly Comedy a few years back, and remarking on my frustration with this admin / writing balance. He’d recently been taken on by one of the country’s biggest comedy producer / agencies, and told me how for the first time since he’d started out, he hadn't had to consider the organisational side of things once; everything was in hand. Being relieved of all the background work meant he could concentrate on writing his show (which went on to do very well indeed...not that I’m jealous).

This would be the ideal scenario, but sadly, isn’t an option for me (or me and Glyn) at the moment. The best I can hope for is to get most of the desk-work done A.S.A.P., so I can turn my brain to being funny A.S.A.P. too. I long for the day when someone will do the first bit for me.


Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.