Batchelor Pad Blues.


I watched the Billy Wilder film The Apartment for the first time tonight.

I’ve loved Jack Lemmon in everything I’ve seen him in, and this was no exception. He brings warmth to every character he plays and is always in complete control of his performance. He makes being awkward look strangely effortless, often throwing in little bits of subtle comedy business that seem an accident at first glance.

I find it strange that I haven’t watched many Shirley MacLaine films, despite her being such a well-known name. Like Lemmon, she brings lots of warmth and sweetness to her character; though I was sure she’d see that MacMurray’s selfish Mr Sheldrake wasn't worth it by the end, the outside chance that she wouldn’t was a worry. Then I remembered which two actors were pictured skipping into to distance hand in hand on the poster and realised I had no cause for concern. It would be too miserable an outcome if they didn’t work things out.

Like that other Wilder favourite, Some Like it Hot, the script is tightly written with not a word out of place. The cinematography is lovely and the turn-of-the-Sixties style has lots of class. I wish people still dressed like that now, damn it. Sod it: tomorrow, I’m buying a bowler hat.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.