Smiling On.


Today, I thought I’d share another one of my old band Big Day Out’s more obscure songs, Smiling On.



It didn’t feature regularly in our sets, or on any of our CDs, but it was a fun song to play when we did it. It’s gentler and more introspective than a lot of the stuff we’d perform at our gigs, without quite falling into ballad territory. Listening to it now, I’m struck by its simplicity – and while the lead vocal irritates me, I like the groove of the main riff.

While I always thought it was a bit ‘throwaway’, Roger King (who ran the local music fanzine Live Circuit) used to say it was his favourite Big Day Out song. Its funny how these things stick in your head. It goes to show you: one man’s meat is another man’s poison (or insert another maxim that makes sense).

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.