Pardon?


Tonight's venue had no mic, which is a setback when you've only just recovered from losing your voice. 

It would actually have been a hindrance, regardless. A comic doesn't just use a microphone to be heard; it's also a prop. Without it, you feel naked. You also start suffering from that age old actor's quandary: "What should I do with my hands?"

Not being amplified is particularly annoying with my material, which relies on being thrown away. It's supposed to sound naturalistic. When you project it, it comes across false and pre-prepared. It's the same when I'm working with Glyn. I've lost count of the times we've been booked to play a venue that hasn't taken into account that we're a double act, and therefore need two mics. I have a vivid memory of anuno-microphono mixed-bill gig in Edinburgh; every other act could sit back on their material, while Glyn and I had to shout and gurn to get our lines across. It was awful.

I find this sort of thing very irritating. I run a club myself, and would never dream of booking an act without having the appropriate set-up. If I couldn't provide something they needed, I'd let them know. Most things are fine with a little forewarning; without it, you feel thrown and it affects your performance. 

Amplification gripes aside, the venue was lovely. My set went well, but I didn't settle into it as much as I would have liked; partly because of the lack of a microphone and partly because I had one eye on the time, as the show started an hour late and I had to catch a specific train back. It's annoying when you set aside a whole day for a gig, only to be thrown by something like that. Oh well. I've got an apple in my bag, so all's not lost.

Tonight's venue in Kettering.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.