Loving Lemmon.


Tonight, I treated myself by watching the film version of The Odd Couple.

If you ever want to see an actor in complete control of his performance, who manages to be both tragic and truthful while displaying impeccable comedy timing, then look no further than Jack Lemmon as Felix Unger; if this tour de force portrayal isn’t enough, (1) you’re out of your mind, and (2) you should watch him in Some Like It Hot. The man was incredible, though the same can be said for Walter Matthau and the rest of the supporting cast. The script and direction are razor sharp and surprisingly modern in style and presentation, and the score is perfect; it’s a bloody good film.

I’d like to go into more detail about it, but it’s late and I won’t be able to do it justice. All I can say is that if you haven’t seen it (or Jack Lemmon in Some Like it Hot for that matter), you’ve missed out, but there’s still time to rectify it. These are my two gifts to you; use them wisely, my son (or daughter). For dessert, you can watch the Simpsons episode where Marge sets up her own pretzel business, and marvel at Felix’s vocal similarity to Frank Ormand. Surely it's not the same bloke?

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.