Swallowing Wanda.


Tonight, I had the uncomfortable experience of eating a cod fillet next to a fish tank. 

I was dining alone in a restaurant in Brighton before a gig, and hadn't considered where I was sitting until after I'd chosen my main course. Goldfish, catfish and koi swam within my eye line, judging me for my dietary preferences; no doubt hating me for my lifestyle choice. Being pescatarian means nothing when you could still be chowing down on someone's mum or dad. 

To add insult to injury, I was wearing a shirt with pictures of fish on it. If anyone noticed, they'd have thought I was obsessed; not content with eating them, when I can wear them and watch them swim by me as well

The gig was fun. It was in a tiny room below a pub, which was more like a Moroccan opium den than a comedy venue - and all the better for it. See below for a picture of the stage (Rowley Birkin QC / Ronnie Corbett out of shot).

Surrounded by seating.

I very nearly didn't find the venue, as I didn't expect a pub called the Black Dove to have a silhouette of a bird in the window in lieu of a sign with its name on it. Thank God it wasn't called The Cock. 

I was on first, to account for my long journey back. I tried out my first-debuted-at-last-month's-Mostly material again, to run it in, and reinstated my joke book stuff at the top of the set, as it's usually a relaxed route in. I riffed a little about the space, which was well received. If only I performed on stages as intriguing as this one more often, I'd be able to get a whole show out of it.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.