Little Giggy.


I did a short sport at the lovely New Material Night Touching Cloth this evening – and, true-to-form to its already-mentioned loveliness, I had a lovely time.

It’s such a friendly well-run room, with not a hint of the competitiveness of a lot of other open mic comedy nights. I’m booked to do a spot there in a few weeks but wasn’t officially on the line-up tonight, but as I was in town to meet a friend, I thought I’d pop down on the off-chance of getting a walk-in spot. I arriving long before anyone else and, as the pub above the gig was packed with people watching the football (on a big screen, not in the premises) I headed downstairs with a book and a lemonade to wait things out.

(I’m such a hedonist.)

I was third on in the first half, which was great, as it meant I could relax and enjoy the rest of the evening. I used my spot as a chance to give the material I did at the last month’s Mostly a second airing. I purposely kept my approach loose, as I’d promised myself, to see if anything better came from it. It certainly helped my mindset, and left me feeling there's a way into approaching writing more new stuff in a less pressured way, or at least having more fun with it. Last year was about proving to myself that I could do stand-up on my own; I’d like to use the next one to root myself more firmly into it, while doing more with Glyn. Our radio show will hopefully be up and running again soon, which will be a starting point.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.