Getting Better.


Tonight's gig was a world of difference from last night's, as often seems to be the case when I've recently had a bad one. 

The room was small and sparsely populated (mostly with other comics); so much so that we took a straw poll just prior to 'kick-off' (football parlance) and nearly decided not to go ahead. Though I wanted to do it, to put to bed the previous night's teeth-pulling open mic experience, I'm easily swayed; another way of putting it is 'lazy'. If there's a chance of bowing out, I'm the first to bend over, so to speak. 

I'm glad we did it in the end. Everyone was friendly and easy-going, and the acts were great. It had none of the oppressive undercurrent of last night's OpenMicGate. In many ways, it helped that the room was small and brightly lit, as it forced us all to be a part of it. It was essentially an informal chat over a P.A. system. I didn't see a single stern face either, which was a blessed relief. 

It's surprising that it went so well, as I very nearly didn't make it. Less than an hour before the show started, I was still in Hitchin, thanks to a bus that never came and a signal failure between Hatfield and King's Cross. If the gig hadn't been in Highbury & Islington, I would have been a no-show...and no-one wants a no-show at a show. I'm rambling. That's all for today.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.