Love the Song You're With.


A song can sometimes send your mind whizzing back to a particular time of your life, or an event. One record that has this effect on me is Stephen Stills’ hippy-tastic ‘Love the One You’re With’. 


When I hear it, it’s 2004 and I’m touring the Netherlands, playing bass for the show Hold Tight it’s Sixties Night; you weren't there, man (unless you were).

I wasn’t familiar with it until I came across it in the set; Buck’s Fizz’s cover version somehow passed me by. While the show was full of great music, this song sticks in my mind the most. It epitomises those three months in Holland (my first tour outside of the UK), and the atmosphere of the company. Its communal singsong nature made it a highlight of the show. I got to wear a Kinks-style suit, play my Beatles bass and sport a mass of hair and sideburns, so I was living the Sixties dream.

Another song that reminds me of the tour is My Girl. We sang an a capella version of it as a company, which had a surprisingly good arrangement. We went out for in Amsterdam on a night off, and somehow ended up performing it twice: once in a jazz club that was packed to the rafters, and once in a circle in the middle of the street. I bet we came across like a bunch of theatrical twats. Still…happy memories.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.