It Was Sixteen Years Ago Today.


For most of the morning, I couldn’t fathom out why today's date seemed familiar. Then it came to me: I started drama school sixteen years ago to the day.

That sounds and feels like a long time ago. If my training were a child, it could get married with its parents' consent. It could also do rude stuff. If I were using the same time-frame to chart the distance between my birthdate and the events that preceded it, The Beatles would have just released ‘Help!’, and Winston Churchill, his last breath. I could have worded that better. What I’m saying is, my first day as a full-time drama student is further in the past than it should be.

I can remember walking into Hertfordshire Theatre School to meet my year for the first time clearly. As I climbed the rickety staircase from the students’ entrance to the Studio, I was fully aware that I was about to come face to face with the people I’d spend the next three years with. What I wasn’t prepared for was the fact that I’d be the only boy. If I’d known this, it would either have been more intimidated, or felt the need to drag up.

(...like an excuse was ever necessary.)

I very nearly didn’t go that day. My plan, up to a few weeks before the 4th of October 1999, was to take a year out to focus on my band. I’d been offered the position of junior manager at Argos in Letchworth, which would have tided me over financially, while destroying my soul in the process. I was in the bath when I had the epiphany. A voice came unto me and said “David, that would be horrendous”.

(My God, was he / she / it right.)

To think my first day was sixteen years ago is both surprising and unsurprising in equal measure. So much has happened to me since. I have a wife, a cat and some semblance of a career. My drama school, however, is now somebody’s house. Make of that what you will.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.