If The Concrete Never Comes.


It’s not every day you get to see a Garth Brooks-themed industrial vehicle (unless you work for Doherty Concrete on a 24/7 basis, that is).

Garth Brooks-themed Doherty Concrete vehicle (near-side view)


When I spotted it on my way back from town this morning, I did a double take. I was so close to it initially that it took a while for the enormity of what I was passing to sink in. At first, the style of the artwork made me assume it was a fairground attraction, but no, it was something much more mundane than that; it was a way of transporting large quantities of sand, gravel and cement from A to B with the intention of mixing concrete, that happened to be decorated to a country and western motif. 

Garth Brooks-themed Doherty Concrete vehicle (off-side view)
 

…and why not? Let's face it: Garth Brooks and concrete are synonymous. They’re both the most successful in their idiom; I challenge you to name a bigger-selling C&W artist or a more widely used composite building material, and I dare you to say it to my face.

(I may mould a giant concrete Stetson in tribute.)

I won’t take the piss out of the people driving it, however, as they were kind enough to let me take pictures, after clearly staring the first time I walked past, then returning a few minutes later when I realised I couldn’t let the opportunity to document it pass me by. I lied a bit though, by saying my mum was a big fan; of Garth Brooks, not haulage.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.