Surbiton, Surbitoff.

My favourite bit of tonight's gig in Surbiton was having an ex-employee of Woburn Safari Park confirm that you can still bypass the monkey enclosure if you don't want to go through it.

It's good to know that the reference I make to this in my material, which is based on my childhood visits, is still accurate. The last thing I want to do is spread rumours about their facilities, or worse still, their emergency exits. If I'd had time, I would have also asked whether Woburn still had the Rainbow Ride (perhaps the most terrifying platform-spinning-around-and-dropping-from-a-great-height contraptions I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen thousands). 

It was a fun laidback gig. The venue reminded me of The Croft: Mostly Comedy's second home, where we were based for two years. There was only a small crowd in, but they were friendly and attentive, when they could have been easily distracted by the surroundings. I reinstated my joke book material - something that dates back to mine and Glyn's 2010 show Big in Small Places - which helped me kick my set off informally, and relax. The promoter was lovely (reminding me alarmingly of my ex-Big Day Out band-mate Mark), as were the other acts. It was a confidence boost, after my recent London mixed bill experiences. 

I prefer out-of-town gigs in many ways. The audience is usually more relaxed and prone to listen. Coming to the comedy club is the sole focus of their night out, rather than just a part of it. The market is saturated in London; people often decide to go to a gig last minute without investing a lot of thought in it. Pub venue audiences can be pissed and rowdy - and if they don't know who you are, or you don't pick on them, they feel short-changed; it's a case of 'Knob Gags Ahoy, or Get Out'. 

I didn't stay to the end tonight, which made me feel guilty as I missed two of the acts' sets, but when you're crossing London and coming out the other end it's good to have a head start. It certainly wasn't a wasted visit. Now I've reminded myself I can do solo spots on mixed bills without provoking confusion or silence, I'd like to buckle down on writing new material. It would be great to use the last three Mostly Comedys of 2015, plus the odd spot elsewhere, to get to grips with some sharper, more accessible stuff; no pressure there then.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.