Cast Me.


I’ve enjoyed the last few advert castings I’ve had, including the one I did today.

I go in and out of phases with them. It usually depends on how many are coming in. If I have a few audition-dry weeks, I start to go off my game. Another factor is how right - or not right - the jobs are for me. I’ve always felt very comfortable doing small-scale, naturalistic, comedic stuff to camera – regardless of how good – or not good – I may be at it. I like the spontaneous, minimalistic, reaction-based nature of an advert casting; there’s generally not much dialogue to remember and little time to over-think what you do.

Strangely, the sort of characters that tend be right for me in castings are slightly at odds with the persona I adopt for Doggett & Ephgrave’s sketches, or our duo-based / my solo stand-up. I usually play the strong-minded, sarcastic and faux-arrogant one of the two of us, whereas my breakdowns tend to be for awkward, nerdy, self-conscious stuff. I’d write a study on this, if it weren’t for the fact that no-one would be interested.

While I’ve had a good time at my last few auditions (well, as much as you can at what's essentially an interview), it’s been a long time since I’ve got a filming job. I could do with one coming good soon, before I have to sell off my vital organs to raise some funds to live off; the irony being that the number of body parts I’d need to auction off to live would probably result in the opposite.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.