"Not For Me, Thanks; I'm (Not) Driving".


These days, I’m unable to drink alcohol to excess - or at all, it seems.

Last night, I met my friend Rob for a long overdue catch-up at our once-regular haunt, The Spice of Life in Soho. Whenever we used to rehearse for the Buddy Holly show, Glad All Over, or whichever gig we were working on, we’d factor in a drink (or three) afterwards. It was an unwritten rule. Invariably, I’d head home far later than intended, with my body on the outside of a fair share of Guinness. Despite my recklessness, I’d cope with this alcoholic intake. It was a good way to unwind from the day’s work, which was often spent in the shittiest of shit rehearsal studios. Yesterday, in a change to the usual pattern, I only had two pints – yet despite drinking next-to-nothing, I’ve spent the the day feeling like I'm recovering from a ten-hour stint on a fairground rotor.

It was worth the nausea. It’s always nice to see Rob. We seldom get the chance to meet these days, which is a shame. He’s a good friend and a great person to work with. We connected as soon as we first met, and have shared many a laugh ever since. I’ll stop praising him now, for fear of bringing on the same sickly feeling in everyone else. If it does, don’t let anything stronger than peppermint tea pass your lips; at least then, you should be all right.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.