My First Buddy.


I was flicking through some pictures on my external hard drive yesterday (nothing shifty) when I stumbled across a few that I thought might be of interest here. I’ll share them across different blogs as they pertain to different things. The first lot were taken during my first tour with Buddy Holly and The Cricketers, back in 2005.



The shot above was taken on a beach in Ireland. We were purposely apeing an indie album cover, though let’s face it, my stripey zip-up top and Britpop hairstyle wouldn’t look out of place on a member of the band Cast, intentional irony or not. To my right stands drummer Graeme Chart, sax & keys player Neil Nicholas and rhythm guitarist Adam Stone, with whom I shared a room throughout the tour.

It’s hard to belive that my first stint in the big specs was ten years ago, until I notice how young a look in the pictures, that is. I did the show on and off for seven or eight years. The first tour ran from September to December 2015, doing five or six shows a week, across the UK and Ireland. Other than spending time with Adam and Graeme, and the initial buzz of playing my musical hero, I didn’t enjoy the first tour at all. It was only when Glyn took over as company manager the following year, and I met the guitarist and past Buddy Rob Maskell, who joined us in the band, that I started to have fun. You need a likeminded group around you when you’re on the road to keep you sane.


This was taken on stage at The Gaiety Theatre in Ayr. I was jamming through the Abbey Road medley with bassist Simon Parrish; something we’d do from time to time during soundchecks. When I returned to the same venue the following year, I’d lost my voice, meaning Rob had to step in as Buddy. I played rhythm guitar that night, and could only communicate with the band by stamping on the floor: one stamp for yes and two for no. Japes, ladies and gentlemen. Japes.


Here I am as Buddy in Bedworth. I look about twelve. My bowtie is also wonky – and my sideburns are longer than official Buddy Holly regulations. 


This blurry shot was taken during the show at the Ardhowen Theatre in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland. I could have styled my hair.


I’m sat at the keys here during a soundcheck. The moptop is back.


This shot of the band was taken by Loch Lomond on our way to play Fort William. We certainly got about.


One of the main problems with touring is getting a decent meal, as this picture in Eastbourne café attests.

So, those were few snapshots of my first Buddy tour. All of them were taken by our Company Manager Chad (A.K.A. Richard Hague). The cheque’s in the post, Chad. The cheques in the post. 

My dressing room table, Woking.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.