David For Sale.


It’s not often you find out your flat’s up for sale when your mum spots it in the local paper.

I’m exaggerating slightly. My home isn’t actually on the market, or at least, not as far as I’m aware – though this small, niggling detail didn't prevent a picture of it from appearing in last week’s Comet, to illustrate a property of identical specifications that’s in the same block. Apparently, mine was the more photogenic of the two. Who am I to argue? After all, I live in it. Thank God I wasn’t doing anything inappropriate in the front window.

(...not that I ever do.)

It’s a bizarre mistake for the estate agent to make. It’s not just a picture of the front of my property that’s in the paper, but the side and the back as well. You'd only need a shot from above to build up a three-dimensional composite image.  If they’d knocked on the door to ask me, if I could have stood next to the building to give a sense of scale.

I guess they send a photographer out with the postcode alone and hope for the best. I’m glad I didn’t spot them, or I’d have thought they were casing the joint. Maybe it’s a scam, like the one with that guy who repeatedly pretended to sell the Brooklyn Bridge. I can’t see a one-bedroom flat in North Hertfordshire drumming up the same tourist interest.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.