Right Here, Right Now.

Tonight, I had my first meditation class in over a month.

It was, as ever, very good. While I practise a little every day, the chance for an extended session led by my excellent teacher is a luxury. He has a knack for making you consider what you're doing from a different point of view - and, in turn, making you approach meditation differently. 

I'm finding it very useful when tackling the stresses and challenges of my work, and life in general. It helps me keep my head in the moment, rather than thinking ahead or behind of myself. ‎It's a case of being present and creating mental space. It's easy to let everything roll into one, rather than compartmentalising what needs to be addressed when. 

Meditation isn't just about sitting in silence in your best Budda stance. It's how you approach your day. ‎When I walk to my office, I try to observe what's going on around me, instead of ruminating over the tasks ahead. If I catch myself thinking about work, I note that I'm doing this, tell myself I'll deal with it later, and gently guide myself back to the present moment. That's mindfulness, folks.

This isn't always easy, particularly when the pressure increases - but a combination of this and a little daily formal meditation certainly helps. It's about being kinder to yourself. I'm still learning, but I'm enjoying the process.‎

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.