Pressed.

I'm tired of writing press releases. 

I wrote one for Mostly today, and it felt like pulling teeth. Last month was the first time I've missed the local press deadline in seven years, for similar reasons. I couldn't face juggling the same few words around again to make it work.

My life is filled with admin, most of which I'd never set out to do in the first place. The balance seems to be firmly in favour of organisation over creativity. My work with Glyn is a case in point; we spend far more time chivvying things around, digging out one piece of technical gear or another, sending emails and promoting gigs, than we ever do writing or performing. Sometimes, you can clearly see a positive result - the way our club has grown, for example - but most of the time, it's indistinct. We've sent hundreds of press releases out for various projects since we started out, and only received a handful of reviews. I did the same with my solo show in Brighton this year, plugging the hell out of it whilst writing it from scratch, and all I got was a slating from one source, a knock to my confidence, and the knowledge that it will now be harder to promote it in the future. Oh, for a little P.R. ‎

I look forward to when someone takes us on, and relieves us of the organisational burden. If I never wrote another press release again, I'd live. ‎

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.