Going (Not) Live!


We prerecorded the second In Your Inner Ear show last night, which will be aired on Sunday - but don’t tell anyone it won’t be live, as it’s a secret.

We did it in advance because I have a gig on Sunday, plus it’s my wife’s birthday, so I had two reasons I couldn’t be there. That’s not to say that stand-up takes precedence over her special day; it was the first solo spot I was offered, months ago, and I ran it past her before I confirmed it. We’ll do something nice too, so I won’t be deserting her, I promise.

The recording was more relaxed than Sunday’s live broadcast, mainly because we were familiar with the set up. We did it straight through in one go, as if it was going out, which created enough tension to keep us on our toes; it may as well be live when you hear it.

(If you hear it. Please hear it.)

It was a fun one. Personally, I think the content was better than the first show. While we decided the topics we’d discuss in advance collectively (this time opting for awkwardness as our central theme, rather than last show’s less user-friendly subject of death), we kept a lot of the content a secret. The fact we didn’t know which story the other would tell kept the reaction genuine. It also made it funnier. Glyn let me start the show with a surprise, which thankfully had him in stitches. He had a few tricks up his sleeve too; as did our guest, Stephen Halliday: a man with more anecdotes about awkwardness than most.

I’m looking forward to it hearing it back. I’m also excited about doing the next one, knowing we have more time to prepare it, knowing us, we’ll still end up doing it last-minute.


Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.