Brighton II: The Wrath of Khan.


Today I’m suffering from four-day-travelling-between-Hitchin-and-Brighton fatigue.

This was compounded by the fact I didn’t get home until 01:00am last night and had to be back in Brighton at 11:00am in time for kick-off at 12:45pm. It’s hard to be funny at lunchtime, particularly when your last few days have been peppered with late finishes. I struggled to get my brain into gear before the show, and had to purposely over-enunciate during it to get the dialogue across. Still, someone liked it:

Or are they being sarcastic?


I was offered a homemade chocolate brownie by an audience member afterwards in lieu of payment, which was a nice treat. I asked if it was a hash cake to an inconclusive response. If it was, it hasn’t kicked in yet. 

There were a couple of off-the-cuff moments that went down well, which I might keep in, if I can remember the gist of how they went. I made a point of recording all of my previews so I had the audio for reference, but haven’t done this in Brighton, which I’m living to regret. I’ve learnt my lesson for tomorrow’s gig.

Today also saw the death of mine and Glyn’s long-standing slideshow remote. It’s been on its last legs for a while. We tried to order a replacement a couple of months back, to find they’ve been discontinued. They've been replaced by an upgrade which, in reality, is anything but that. It fits in your hand like a thing that doesn’t fit in your hand, and no longer has a volume control. It’s bullshit. This isn’t so much of a problem for ‘…and Ephgrave’, but it will be an issue for the double act material, which is more video-centric. I’d buy a second-hand version of the original one if they weren’t trading at a ridiculously marked-up price; clearly because everyone except the company who manufactured them has realised the old one was far superior.

(Bored yet?)

I decided to pull out of tonight’s Pick of the Fringe gig as I’m rapidly losing my voice. I needed a day where I wasn’t burning the candle at both ends (which would require two-sided wick protrusion). Instead, I visited the Brighton Sea Life Centre, which is not a euphemism. I’m writing this on the train home, after seeing a lot of fish. I’m looking forward to a reasonably early night before another early start tomorrow; I’m not the dirty stop-out I once was.

(N.B. I never was a dirty stop-out.)

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.