Return to Slender.


When I saw this on my Twitter feed, I misread ‘overnight’ as ‘overweight’.



Bizarrely, both options are appropriate: the former in reference to his pre-army days and the latter to the end of his career. There’s a sense of full circle to my mistake. It’s nearly palindromic…don’t you think?   

(I’m channelling Alanis Morrisette because I’m down with the kids. Of 1996.)  

The shock of the King’s downfall hasn’t softened, though he died thirty-seven years ago. It happened so fast. With so much pressure aimed on one person it was unavoidable. George Harrison used to say the fact there were four Beatles kept them sane. If one got too big for their boots, the others could keep him in check. Elvis didn’t have this luxury. He was the only man at the centre of the hurricane. That’s a metaphor, by the way.

This isn't the only time my eyes have misled me. I misread the title of this book when I first saw it. I was very disappointed.


Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.