I New It.

I'm currently on my way back from an open mic gig near Spitalfields Market. 

I managed to exorcise the demons of my last spot on a new material night. I didn't have a good experience that night. It didn't help that there were no lights on stage, meaning the audience were better lit than the acts. The MC, while being funny, was very downbeat, so the show lost momentum. All of this conspired to throw me and I lost my way with my new material. When you're only doing five minutes, it's hard to claw things back. 

Tonight wasn't like this. It's one of the nicest open mic gigs I've played; tightly run, with a great host. I didn't get huge laughs - it's hard to when you're playing to a room of other comics who are more concerned with their own stuff - but I got across everything I wanted. The newest bit of all, which hadn't been tried before, got the best response of the bunch, so that's good. I also used my Caffè Nero loyalty card to get a free coffee at King's Cross station afterwards, so that's great. No hot drink tastes better than a free hot drink; that's a cast-iron fact.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.