How to End April (in Six Paragraphs).


Today has been a day of bits and pieces.

It started with me popping to a friend’s flat to feed her cats: something I’m doing for the next week, in my occasional guise as a cat-sitter. I then power-walked to the office with a mic-stand in tow (which has been sitting in my flat since last Saturday’s aborted preview), before sprinting for a bus to the station to catch the train into London for a casting; my life's always this thrilling.

The audition was my first one for the best part of a month: for some reason, they've just not been coming in. In some senses this is good, as it’s given me time to think about my show, but I’m always uneasy when there’s no immediate prospect of paid work (a reasonable thing to be uneasy about).

I think the casting went well. I enjoyed it. I generally do; it’s an environment I feel comfortable in. It was as random as ever; in many ways, it was more random than most: I had to perform in just a towel and a baseball cap. It’s a times like this, when I'm auditioning scantily clad, that I wonder if I have a cut-off point. What would or wouldn’t I wear? There aren’t many job interviews where a towel and a sports hat would class as standard attire.

I sped back to Hitchin after the casting (if you can call a forty-five minute journey ‘speeding’), to meet Glyn to record a promotional clip for our SG1 Radio show, ‘Doggett & Ephgrave: In Your Inner Ear’. We didn’t have much time to do it in the end, but we got what we wanted. I’m looking forward to starting the show. I’ve always enjoyed our off-the-cuff stuff - like our Edinburgh video diaries and the More Than Mostly Comedy Podcast) - the most. It’s nice to have the freedom to ramble. It will also be a pleasant break from all the work I’ve been doing on my own.

I’m now back at my friend’s flat, with a purry cat next to me; typing on a keyboard that's rapidly being covered with her fur. I’d better stop, before I lose track of which is which. I wouldn’t want to plug the wrong one in.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.