Barry, Phil and Me.


Tonight’s preview at Hitchin Mostly Comedy was both useful and enjoyable for me.

Phil Nichol, Barry From Watford and a poor man's Statue of Liberty.

Before I started, I was aware that I would essentially be acting as a physical barrier between the audience and the two acts they’d most likely come to see: Phil Nichol and Barry From Watford. I needn’t have worried. The crowd were lovely, and very receptive despite this.

I did forty minutes, which is the longest I’ve performed solo at my own club by a long chalk. I’m still learning where the laughs are and how to pitch it, but am pleased with how it’s coming together. It still needs a little polish and topping-and-tailing to make it a show, but there’s time for that. I’m looking forward to the Brighton run, as the intimate nature of the venue will suit the material and allow me to sit back on it. It will be fun, I’m sure of that.

Both Barry From Watford and Phil Nichol played a blinder. Barry’s an old favourite at Mostly Comedy, having performed at all four previous Hitchin venues, but it was Phil’s first visit (though he’s gigged at Lastminutecomedy in Hitchin in the past). It was also the first time we’d met. He watched my show and offered some useful feedback. Our podcast interview was a little rushed due to the late hour, but we still had an interesting chat.

It’s always nice to catch up with Alex Lowe (the man behind the Barry mask). He’s got a number of exciting projects in the offing. He’s taking the role of Bill Kerr in a live staging of BBC Radio 4’s brilliantly handled ‘The Missing Hancocks’ in Edinburgh, which I’ll definitely go to see. That would be my dream job. Git.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.