Woking Girl.


Tonight, me and Glyn went to Woking to play our comedian friend Jay Cowle’s gig Joke in the Box, and had a lot of fun.  

It’s the first time we’ve done a longer set at a club outside of Mostly Comedy in months. I think we needed it. We seldom perform together at the moment. When we do, we’re usually in charge of the gig as well, so our attention is split. To just be an act on the bill is a luxury, particularly when you're very comfortable with your material.

I was amazed at how busy the show was, considering we were headlining. Even I don’t know who we are and I’m one of us. The room was packed and the audience were very up for it. So much so, I was worried we’d disappoint. I did a solo set in the first half, but was so tired, I was amazed the material came out. I had an out-of-body experience as I did it; I was conscious of words leaving my mouth, yet didn't feel responsible for them. I got a good reaction considering I wasn’t present. It probably helped that I’d had a bit of a run-in at Monday's gig.

However indifferent I may have felt about my solo set, my spirits lifted when we performed together. It could have gone the other way; we’d travelled to Woking separately, and had had very little time to discuss what we’d do. Thankfully, things went in our favour. Doing it gave me a kick. Part of it is familiarity. We know the material inside out and know our roles as a double act. I’m still finding the right rhythm on my own. It takes time. I’ve worked with Glyn for longer than I’ve worked with me. I think that makes sense.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.