So-so Soho

I'm pleased with how tonight's Comedy Project gig went. 

I've mentioned before how I find Soho Theatre Upstairs a difficult venue to play. It's not a comfortable room for comedy. It's hard to maintain attention. Glyn and I have tried everything there from on-book to off-book sitcom readings, stand-up shows, sketch shows and comedy plays. It's never been easy. The only way to keep the audience focused on you is to let off a flare every few minutes - and even then they'd only do it out of fear.

The piece which was the best received was Doggett & Ephgrave's Comedy Shorts, which was half an hour's worth of filmed sketches. It's far easier to home in on specific detail on film. The Balloon Debate went well too, despite us being trapped in a 5' square wicker basket for the duration.‎

This morning, I told myself to push all these perceived challenges out of my head and to try to not to over-think it. I'd use it as a chance to tell some stories and try stuff out. I wouldn't enter into it expecting too much. I'd also do my best to take my time, even if I felt it wasn't going well.

This definitely made a difference. I went into the show more relaxed than I should have been in the circumstances. It's the only time I performed there for so long without Glyn. He was present for support and to give feedback, but he wasn't on stage, which was a big difference. My next step is to write more material for my hour-long Brighton show in May. If I performed tonight's thirty-minute set twice in quick succession, someone would notice. ‎
‎ 

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.