Why the Rush?


I’ve decided that when it comes to pulling together material for my forthcoming show, I should start by focusing on what I’ve got and not what I haven’t.

This may seem an obvious approach. Not for me. For the last few days, I’ve been desperately trying to find new things to talk about. I keep flicking through my blog, scanning for quick fixes that just work. I’m approaching writing in the wrong mindset: rushing and not letting anything sink in.

I’ve always liked to work fast. The blog is a good example. I bash one out every day (so to speak) and then move on. I barely remember what I’ve written from one week to the next. If I take the same approach to writing stand-up, I could end up with a lot of material, all at the same unfinished level, that I haven’t learnt.

I had another look at videos of my last few gigs this morning for reference. While I’m happy with some bits as they stand, there are parts that need work. I can see potential in a lot of it, if I put the time in to get it right. It would be nice to get to end of the month with a solid 20-25 minute base, with some prospective odds and ends that need tidying up. Some of it just needs to settle down in front of an audience. The open spots and gigs I've got coming up will hopefully help me to do this.


Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.