The One That Got Away.


I realised this morning that, in my rush to finish yesterday’s blog about the stickers on my guitar case, I'd forgotten to mention the most prominent one.


On its own, it looks confusing. That’s why I included the CD to make sense of it. You’re looking at a back-to-front version of my old band’s logo. It’s in reverse because it’s a window sticker. Suddenly it all makes sense.

 
It came free with Big Day Out’s first CD, Get Happy. We recorded the EP in 1998, early on in our ‘career’. I was 17 and at college. I can remember travelling to the studio by bus on the first day, thinking how I was probably the only passenger on my way to a recording session. Perhaps I was being presumptuous about its clientele.

We were a four piece at the time. I sang and played bass. I wrote the songs with the other singer and lead guitarist, Rich (who featured in a scam-related blog a few days back). When he was in the band, I felt inferior to his talent. It was only when he left that I found my songwriting feet. Don’t take that sentence literally. 

The sticker makes me think of my old flat mate Dave. He had one in his rear window for years. I think he owns a different car now. If he didn’t steam it off carefully and transfer it I’ll be disappointed. 

Digging out the CD today, I noticed I'm listed on the back as Dave Ephgrave. 


I don't know that got past a proofreading. The internal rhyme makes me sound an 80s disc-jockey. Why didn't my parents think of that?

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.