Sabbath Sounds.



While I’ve no interest in the sport at all, I like to hear the sound of people playing football in the park near my flat every Sunday morning.

It epitomises the day for me. It’s quite comforting. It helps that it often comes with a backdrop of church bells ringing. I usually only hear it when I’m in the bath. Something about the lack of a rush to get ready, along with knowing they play purely for fun, makes for a relaxing experience. Until the water goes cold.

It would be a different story if I was walking past them. I’d spent the whole time terrified they’d kick the ball in my direction. They’d only expect me to kick it back. There’d be no guarantee I could make it take the desired trajectory. Even if it did, I’d have to do it a fair few times to get it close to the game.

It’s funny that I like it so much, when I hate the sound of football supporters en masse (something I’ve covered before). To me, it’s the sound of ignorance. Or of a potential ‘bottling’. I’m not sure which.

Basically, I only like it when the game’s at a safe distance, or I’m partly submerged in water. It also has to be a Sunday. The optimum conditions are hard to get right.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.