Brainspace.


It’s surprising how much good having a clear head does for writing.

I’ve come into the office this morning to work on some material I’ve been tinkering with, on-and-off, for a few weeks. When I looked at it on Monday, I’d lost hope in its worth. I thought it was devoid of laughs, which is not a good thing for comedy.

It didn’t help that I was tired. I couldn’t remember the points I was trying to hit. Talking it through became a memory test, and one I was failing. Every so often I’d look at my wall planner, see the deadlines that are looming, and panic that I’d never get things done.

Conversely, today feels a lot better. Having a few days’ space allowed the dust to settle. I think the material has potential, after a little tweaking. I’ve also added a few gags to help it along.

Part of the problem was being busy. The end of last week was chock-full of deadlines. I had a sudden unexpected mad dash to get my show info in for the Brighton Fringe by Friday, and to complete my tax return for Saturday. I’ve also been on the gig hunt, trying to get more stage time in the diary before I start my monthly work-in-progress shows, and to give the material a passing semblance of slickness in time for my Soho Theatre date towards the end of March. On top of that I’d been writing press releases and mail outs for the next Mostly Comedy, putting together a pitch for mine and Glyn’s forthcoming radio pilot (with Glyn, of course) and keeping up my daily blog. If it gets past a certain hour and I haven’t written it, it feels like pulling teeth.

There was too much multi-tasking. Sometimes you need space. Hopefully, now all those bits and bobs are done and the deadlines are met I can concentrate on writing my show. The open mic spots I have booked should help the material settle in my head. My tiny, tired, misshapen little head.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.