Getting Writing Right.


This morning I tweaked some autobiographical material I started a few weeks back. This was my first attempt at a more ordered approach to writing stand-up – and to my writing in general.

I do too much at once. This is because I’m aware of the deadlines that are approaching. I end up with a lot of half-finished ideas. On Sunday, I decided to get a handle on what I’ve got. I made a list all the material earmarked for stand-up thus far, then went through it to myself, in whatever state it was in, timing as I went along. This helped me get a sense of what was finished and what needs work. It was quite reassuring.

I now intend to gradually work through the list, tweaking as I go. My next gig is next Thursday’s Hitchin Mostly Comedy. I’d like to try some solo stuff then. There are a few bits and bobs I was working on before Christmas that I haven’t performed yet. My set will end up a mix of them alongside a few newer bits.

My first preview – though I’m not sure what I’m previewing for yet: Brighton, Soho, Camden or Edinburgh? - is on 28th February. If I can work up half an hour of reasonably cohesive material for that I’ll be happy. It doesn’t have to be perfect. I’m happy for some of it to be quite scrappy. It’s a work-in-progress and that’s what it's for. The more new stuff I can strike off my list before then, the more content I’ll be that night. For 'content', read 'nervous'.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.