Friendly Feedback.


This afternoon I met my friend Stephen for coffee; both of us switching to whiskey as the day progressed.

I feel strange referring to him to Stephen when to me he’s Steve. We have an unusual arrangement. He hates his name being shortened, yet accepts me doing it. Possibly grudgingly. I’ve called him Steve for so long I find it difficult to get out of the habit. We’re talking twenty years. That’s two decades of either seething or tolerance. I’m not sure which. At least I’ll use his name properly when we're in the company of others. Is that better or worse?

We spent the evening discussing new material. Stephen’s a writer who dabbles in stand-up. He played the first few Mostlys under the pseudonym of Stav Black and is returning to the medium after a five-year hiatus.

We ran ideas past each other and gave feedback. It was useful for us both. It’s nice to have validation from an outside eye you trust, particularly when that eye is in close proximity of another eye, and attached to someone who has the capability of expressing what that eye – and ear – thinks. Sorry, that's the whiskey talking. Normal service will be resumed tomorrow, when it's out of my system.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.