A Pair of Discs.


You know you’re having a proper clear out when you stumble across these formats. 


I’ve never been ruthless when sifting out my redundant belongings. It’s not like these two means of storage will come to use. Why do I even own the second half of Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds on MiniDisc when I’ve never had a MiniDisc player – and what was my problem with sides one and two? I’ve never been keen on Forever Autumn, but I’m not adverse to having a copy of it in my house. If anything, I'm a completist.

Perhaps the other half of the album is on the floppy disk. Maybe I split it across two mediums in an attempt to preserve it. This didn’t work. The only music they’ll now make will be as a result of me banging them together. I hope someone else backed it up. If not, I’d like Tom Cruise’s 2005 film version to meet the same fate.

It’s strange to think that fifteen years ago both Mini- and floppy disks were still popular. If I had declared their imminent obsolescence in the mid-90s no-one would have believed it. That last sentence is best read in a Richard Burton voice.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.