Something Old, Something New.


The downside of writing a blog post every day is you'll sometimes think of a subject, only for a quick Google to reveal you’ve already written about it.

Such was the case today. It didn’t help that I set to work quite late, after spending a couple of hours sifting through old posts looking for ideas for stand-up. The sift proved lucrative, but left me creatively spent. There’s only so much of my own writing I can take in one sitting. When it came to thinking of something new, I kept drawing blanks.

That was until I remembered a conversation I’d had with my friend Steve earlier this week. We were talking about caricaturists – as you do – when I recounted the story of the time I posed for one as a kid. For some reason, I took it upon myself to pull a weird face to help the artist out; briefly forgetting which of us was supposed to be doing the caricaturing. In doing this, I scuppered myself, ending up with a picture looking nothing like me.

I thought this would be good fodder for a blog, until I realised I’d thought the same thing almost exactly a year ago. This is what happens when you work up ideas quickly; you forget about them promptly too.

All is not lost. I think there’s the essence of something in the story that might work for stand-up. If I hadn’t remembered about it the other day, this wouldn’t have occurred to me. It would be good to find the drawing. Though if I do, the likeness would be too tenuous for me to be able to correctly identify it. This doesn’t mean I own lots of sketches of children.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.