Over the Sunhill.


Every time I hear a police siren, I sing the beginning of The Bill's theme tune in my head.

This is an almost constant affliction, thanks to the dodgy area I live in, that is starting to get on my nerves. Anyone who doesn’t believe I do it should take a look at the first episode of mine and Glyn’s 2010 Edinburgh video diary (specifically at the 9.41 mark) for evidence. See? What a dick.

What makes it worse is it’s now a retrogressive reference. The Bill’s final episode was broadcast on the 31st of August 2010, yet I’m still going strong. I’ll never stop. If in fifty years time the planet is on the other side of nuclear Armageddon, with only me and a police officer surviving, if their car was functioning and they passed me on the street, I’d still sing it. Providing their siren was working as well.

(That situation was too specific.)

It’s not just police cars that set me off, but any klaxon-blaring member of the emergency services. I don’t discriminate. Any excuse to doo-dah its familiar 7/8 stylings and I’ll doo-dah-do it.

It’s just occurred to me that the YouTube clip above has a sombre undercurrent. It was uploaded on the 20th of August 2010, just eleven days before the last Bill episode was broadcast. It’s possibly the last time I sang the theme when it was still current. I need a moment.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.