Finding Hancock.


Yesterday, I listened to the second episode in BBC Radio 4’s current series ‘The Missing Hancocks’, and loved it.

I make no secret of the fact that I’m a huge fan of both Galton & Simpson and Tony Hancock. It’s something I’ve discussed here before. Together, they were responsible for some of my favourite comedy of all time. Watching or listening to an episode of Hancock’s Half Hour is a fail-safe for putting me in a good mood. So much so that I’ve started listening to an episode every morning in the bath, to start the day with a positive kick.

(Picture it.)

When I heard tell of a handful of lost episodes being rerecorded by different actors, I was concerned. How could they make this work? I knew the writing would stand up on its own two feet – Galton & Simpson’s material is faultless – but how could you have a Hancock’s Half Hour without the real Huh…Huh…Huh…Hancock? Not to mention Sid, Bill, Kenneth, Andrée, Moira, Miss Pugh and the rest.

I needn’t have worried. The new recordings are a labour of love, approached faithfully and tastefully. Kevin McNally’s performance as The Lad Himself is spot on, capturing the style, range and intonation of Hancock’s delivery, without being simply an impression. McNally has been a Hancock fan since childhood, and described the job as “The most extraordinary offer of my life”, so it was clearly in safe hands. Special mention must also go to one of my favourite performers (and past Mostly Comedy appear-er-rers) Kevin Eldon, whose take on Bill Kerr is eerily accurate.

The best thing about the project is it allows us to hear some Galton & Simpson scripts that, thanks to the BBC’s foolish 50s / 60s tape-wiping policy, haven't been heard as nature intended for over half a century. The writing is still relevant today. In yesterday’s episode, Tony inherited a newspaper – and in doing so, launched into a long lecture on the best way to entice in readers, using the same methods the likes of the Mail, the Sun and the Mirror would do to this day. Some things never change.

A few months ago, we tried to book Galton & Simpson to appear at Hitchin Mostly Comedy, to tell anecdotes and then sit down for an interview. Their agent was lovely, but apologetic.
‘They’re a little too old for public appearances these days,’ she said.
‘That’s a shame,’ I replied. ‘Would you please pass on that I'm a huge fan of their work and how much it’s influenced me, though?’
‘Of course I will. They’ll be delighted to hear it.’

I really hope she did.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.