Dr Evil's Behind You.


Last night, I went to a screening of Halloween at the Prince Charles Cinema; definitely the darkest film in Mike Myers’ oeuvre.

He didn’t do his Scottish accent once: either as a fat, ginger man in a kilt or a tiny-eared ogre. In fact he barely spoke. He spent most of the film curb crawling and breathing heavily. Perhaps he was concentrating. I’m surprised the sound department didn’t dub this out. I guess this was due to the tight budget. Either way, I hope Mike had a chest x-ray as soon as he'd finished shooting.

(In reality, I know the difference between Mike Myers, the comic actor, and Michael Myers, the fictional knife-wielding maniac. I’m misunderstanding it for comic effect. You can’t deny we’re having fun, though. Please. Don’t.)

It was nice to see Halloween on the big screen with an audience. A film like this is best enjoyed as a group, rather than on your own in an empty house. We’ve all made that mistake. I was surprised everyone wasn't more jumpy, but I guess most of us had seen it before. If anything, we were more prone to laughter than screaming, particularly each time Jamie Lee Curtis thought she’d successfully bumped off her attacker and dropped the meat cleaver beside him. Didn’t she know he'd never die? Not with so many sequels ahead. 

I didn't know until yesterday that Myers is actually wearing a William Shatner mask. Suddenly, the franchise is a lot more terrifying. Not only could he slash you to shreds, he might start speak-singing in the process.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.