Ephgrave's Investment.


It’s hard to earn a living as a self-employed performer. So much so, it helps to have a nest egg. Thankfully, I do. Here it is:


I received that bank statement in the post this morning. Reading it made me breathe a sigh of relief. It’s good to know that my future is secure. I can age, safe in the knowledge that I’ve got something to fall back on. There’s a lot you can do with 72p.

I could buy four tins of Tesco’s Everyday Value new potatoes and still have twelve pence to spare. Three tins of their own-brand spaghetti bolognese would give the same change. If someone leant me 3p I could splash out on a 800g loaf of white bread. They have twenty-five slices. Pop it in the freezer and defrost it a piece at a time and you could eke it out for three and half weeks.


The one thing I haven’t considered is inflation. The average life expectancy of a man born in 1981 (like me) is 71. By the time I retire - if I can ever afford to - the prices will have shot up. My HSBC Instant Access Savings Account doesn’t even offer any interest. If I put nothing else in, I’ll get nothing else out. I’d better start depositing some serious bunce and quick.

As an aside, I just made the mistake of subtracting my age from my life expectancy. I urge you to never, ever do this.




Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.