Money, Money, Money

I have a debt no-one wants to lay claim to.

One of the downsides to being self-employed is a fluctuating income. Earnings can differ hugely from one year to the next, or even from week to week. The best - and worst - aspect of this is you never quite know what’s around the corner financially. Things can change, for good or for bad, at any moment.

Like many others in my situation, this often leads to taking out a loan or a credit card, to act as a buffer when times are hard. If things don’t pick up, or take a downward turn, you end up behind on your payments.

This is what happened to me. I’m not massively in arrears, but it’s enough to be unable to settle at the moment. For quite some time, I was tied to a repayment plan I couldn’t maintain and felt unable to express this to my creditors. Then, thanks to excellent free advice from the debt charity Step Change, I’m currently in the process of sorting a timetable that will keep the banks happy without leaving me penniless.

Or at least I would, if I could find out who is holding my account. I’ve spent all morning on the phone to various banks and recovery agencies, trying to find out who’s handling it. Nobody seems to know. Here I am, desperately trying to pay it off, yet no-one wants my money.

Hopefully, a job will come in soon that will turn my situation around. It would only take the one. If I’d got any of the countless adverts I’ve been penciled for in the past twelve months, I’d be back on my feet. Sometimes, being an actor is bullshit. 

If you’re having financial difficulties, visit www.stepchange.org. They’re excellent.



Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.